Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

IWSG, National Read a Book Day, an Award, and Being Thankful

First and foremost: Please keep my family, friends and all Virgin Islanders and Puerto Ricans in the your thoughts and prayers as they face down Hurricane Irma, the strongest Atlanatic storm ever recorded. Sustained winds are at 185 MPR with gusts of 200 or more. I doubt the islands will get the coverage that Texas did (and deserved). But I can tell you media coverage would be helpful. And it pisses me off that The Weather Channel and national news channels are just talking about when it will hit Florida. What about 3.8 million people in the VI and PR? I bet if a storm this size were to hit Hawaii they'd be all over it. Why don't the islands rate the same kind of coverage? Could it be because in cases like Irma, once they were to get there they wouldn't be able to leave? There is no place to go, no evacuation. It's the really deal. When Marilyn hit in 1995, the islands got little to no coverage. Heck, nobody in the states believed it was a cat 5 storm even though wind gauges broke at 200 MPR. Four out five buildings were damaged or destroyed. My family home's roof was ripped off. It was months before power was restored and about three years before the house was rebuilt. It was a terrible mess, debris everywhere, boats tossed onto shore like pieces of legos, cars flipped on their sides and roofs, vegetation stripped of leaves. You can view pictures HERE. Iram is as bad or worse... To say I'm concerned is an understatement. (I have to remember to breathe.)

Posting the First Wednesday of every month, the Insecure Writer's Support Group, is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh. YOU can sign up HERE to participate.

Every month a question will be posed that may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Remember, the question is optional. You can write about anything that relates to your writing journey.

Let's give a warm welcome to our co-hosts: Tyrean Martinson, Tara Tyler, Raimey Gallant, and Beverly Stowe McClure!

This month's question is: Have you ever surprised yourself with your writing? For example, by trying a new genre you didn't think you'd be comfortable in??


The answer to the first question is a resounding YES! I have some philosophical/spiritual stuff I wrote when I was in my late 20s early 30s that, when reread years later, totally blew me away. I wonder, "Who wrote that? Where did that come from? Where did that writer go and can I get her back?" 


I can answer YES to the second question, too. My current WIP is YA plus it's an historical fantasy that takes place in Tibet, all of which is totally out of my normal comfort zone.



It's National 
Read a Book Day! 

Pick a book, any book, find a nice comfy place and... ENJOY! 

(Dr.'s order!)










***
An Award
Quite by surprise I have received an award from The Lair of the Silver Fox for my post called, The Real America, which you can read HERE. I am humbled and honored. Thank you Silver Fox!

The Silver Fox's THRUST HOME! Award
This is NOT an award I can pass on. It's something The Silver Fox gives to bloggers for a particular post that he deems worthy of recognition. Here's what he has to say about it.

One of my all-time favorite stories is Edmond Rostand's Cyrano de Bergerac. Cyrano often used the expression "Thrust home!" when fatally piercing an opponent during a sword fight. I've appropriated that phrase for... "The Silver Fox's THRUST HOME Award! -- Given to the Author of a Single Outstanding Blog Post."
And my rules for the award -- and the rules for its recipients -- are:
  • This award will be given by me, and no one else, and generally to only one recipient at a time.
  • I'll only give the award to those whose posts have truly "thrust home" with me, so even my best friends on the net might never get one.
  • The award will usually go to a post of what I deem to be of general import and interest, but that may be fudged once in a while to reflect my own biases. (My award, my stupid rules. Deal with it.)
  • There will be no set frequency for the giving of the award.
  • Theoretically, a recipient of "The Silver Fox's THRUST HOME Award!" may win once, twice... or forty-seven times! This is an award for individual blog posts, not for blogs!
  • Recipients would be asked to mention their receipt of said award on their own sites, along with a corresponding link to my own. And a little blurb on your sidebar -- feel free to copy and paste the graphic, of course! -- would be greatly appreciated.
  • Winners are not allowed to give this award to others.
  • Other than that, awardees are not asked to do anything else. You've already done it!
***
Being Thankful 
Today I'm thankful for any and all prayers for the Virgin Islands and surrounding area.

What are you thankful for? Has your writing ever surprised you? Received an award lately?

17 comments:

  1. Yes, I hope all is well for the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. My mom lives in Florida and I am really worried about the hurricane.

    Your new manuscript sounds awesome. I've stretched into writing nonfiction articles for my job. Never thought I'd do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read and loved all three of your books.

    It's a crime they don't cover areas just outside our boundaries. There are still millions of lives at stake. I'll be praying for those caught in the direct path. It's really terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on such a special award.
    Prayers and thoughts for everyone in the path of such a monster hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every day should be read a book day! Well, it is to me, anyway! If a day goes by and I haven't read something, it's a bad day!

    My thoughts to everyone in the path of the hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad but true that news and weather people seem to focus on what affects "us," "us" being the USA (and what, Puerto Rico doesn't count as part of "us?"). That applies to most news of the world as well. We're very self-centered.

    Thanks for mentioning your well-deserved award.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People care and respond when there's a disaster. I wish they could all be as wonderful in times when there aren't any.

    Look at those books you've written! Darned good job, if you ask me. And congrats on that reward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irma looks sooo scary! Sending positive vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't been around today... The roof on my sister's house is gone, she's probably lost everything. It's nighttime now still wind and rain... and there's no place for her to go...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am definitely praying for the islands. As L. Diane mentioned, I think they do less coverage because they're out of our boundaries, but that certainly does't make it right. I am so sorry to hear about the damage to your sister's house. Irma is a scary storm. Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sending prayers to you and your family. I think the only way to get more coverage is to get personal video from people already there and post it, until it goes viral, then maybe people will understand the devastation occurring and realize that we must take care of all or our citizens even if they're not on the "mainland." I bet a lot of Americans don't even realize that Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are actually U.S. territory. :(

    Congratulations on you post being selected by the Silver Fox!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bish - I sure hope Irma doesn't do any more damage than it has - sounds fairly nasty at the moment ... and now I hope the islands can get through without too much death or more damage ...

    Congratulations on Silver Fox's selection in your direction ...

    Oh gosh just read about your sister's house ... so desperate for you and particularly for them ... with thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bish - I hope the family are safe ... and then I know life will be very tough, but at least family will be safe ... still thinking of your family - Hilary

      Delete
  12. Bish, I hope your family and friends stay safe through Irma's rampage. You're right about media coverage. I think the media has forgotten that PR and the VI are part of the U.S.

    Congrats on your blog award. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your friends weather the Irma and get through it safely. It doesn't surprise me about the media coverage. They have blinders on when it comes to certain things. Places A and B get hammered but they only discuss A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for everyone in the path of Irma and the fires and all that's going on around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Bish, I was following your Facebook post over the weekend. I'm so glad your sister is OK and hopefully the rest of your family too. The destruction is almost impossible to comprehend. My prayers are with all the poor folks who have lost so much.
    Congratulations on the award which is well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  16. now I hope the islands can get through without too much death or more damage ...


    เย็ดสาว

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!